1/2/14 Update: This thread is largely outdated and shouldn't really be used to set up the current version of SEGS. Please use this thread to get started with setting up your client: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8016
Welcome to the setup guide for the SEGS Test client . Before we get started here, let's go over some of the prerequisites that you'll need before starting!
-Patched Version 1.20040406.1 of CoH
-Compiled source files
-SQL server setup
Alrighty, once you've managed that small feat. let's get started. Screen shots will provided throughout the guide, and I apologize for any misconception of the assumption that you are a complete and absolute idiot, let's just call it a thorough guide .
• Open up your City of Heroes parent folder
• Select the “CityOfHeroes.exe” NOT the “CohUpdater.exe”
• Right click the “CityOfHeroes.exe” and select “Create Shortcut”.
• Select your newly created shortcut and select “Properties”.
• Once inside of your shortcut’s properties, click on the “Shortcut” tab to the
immediate right of “General”.
• Then locate the “target:” box, put your cursor at the very end of the text,
and with a space separating the two, type “-project SEGS” (without
• With your shortcut spiffed up and itching to run, fire ‘er up.. then close
out immediately afterwards. Disappointing, yes, but we need to do this to
get the SEGS registries in place, don’t worry we’re about half way done.
• Click on your start menu and click on “Run...” which should be in the
vicinity of the main contents of the start menu, no sub-folder hunting
here, not yet anyways .
• Once a box similar to the one below appears, type in “regedit” (again,
without quotations) and hit “ok”.
• A window similar to the one below should open up.
• Click on the + sign next to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER”, a sub-menu should
pop down below it
• Locate the “Software” folder under “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” and click
its plus sign as well, another sub-menu should appear under it.
• Navigate your way through the menace of the software folders until you
come upon the “Cryptic” folder, click the + (or sideway triangles in the
screenshot’s particular case below :/)
• Under the “Cryptic” folder, there should be a SEGS sub-folder, if not, you
did not run the shortcut you created properly you buffoon!
• Right click the “SEGS” sub-folder and mouse over “New” then proceed to
“String Value”, as shown in the screen shot below.
• A new string value will appear on the right side, usually at the very bottom
with your cursor already selected on it, we want to rename this value “Auth”
..yes without the quotations..
• Right click your newly created Auth string and select “Modify”
• A window similar to the one below should appear, in this window you
will need to enter your own IP address.
And huzzah, you should be able to successfully run your created shortcut and use any username//password combination, dive into a server and get through the character creation. Though this will be as far as you can go, as we still have much more work to do. Any questions and/or technical difficulties can be addressed in this topic.
P.S. - Please feel free to correct and grammatical and/or spelling errors you may come upon, it would be much appreciated, thanks!
-Fork1/2/14 Update: This thread is largely outdated and shouldn't really be used to set up the current version of SEGS. Please use this thread to get started with setting up your client: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8016