[Guide 2 of 2]Test Client Setup

C'mon all you guinea pigs!
Sentry

Re: [Guide 2 of 2]Test Client Setup

Post by Sentry » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 am

Hey everyone, just wanted to share what else I've found.

While in Dev mode (From Options --> Controls), if you use the F2-F4 keys, different things appear on the screen. One shows some information on the server, such as players and some other numbers. The other outlines everything in white lines to show the model of it. The "~" key also makes half of my screen appear whitewashed; unsure why that's a feature.

If I'm reading this correctly, you want someone who -does not- have graphics problems to run a program on their computer to record information? Or could someone like me, who has the typical graphics problem, provide some insight with this?

Edit: After testing a bit more, the problem with being unable to log into characters already made might be because the server doesn't actually save characters on the server side. I realized that if I changed my AT/powersets/Origin/Name in the game (I.D. and pressing back), my character ID would actually save the changes on the server. If I were to disconnect, and go to the character selection screen, the name/origin/AT would be the same as it originally was.

Also, I created 2 characters with the exact same name, which shouldn't be possible, unless the server didn't actually have the first one saved.

I can't log in without the game crashing. Could someone test what happens when you have two separate clients trying to log into the same account? What if you create/log into one character and try to log onto the same computer using a different client? Would it kick off the original? Would the constant contact between server and client make it so you finally -could- log onto an existing character? I don't know, let's find out. I'll try it later as well.

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 am

Nice detective skills Sentry :)

Please consider adding tickets to redmine.nemerle.eu/project/segs
And any knowledge you gain would have an awesome time hanging out @ http://redmine.nemerle.eu/projects/segs ... Knowledege

Regarding same-character name, saving the character changes, other such issues. Most of those are fixable with a average amount of effort. But since codemonkey-wise this is still an one man show, the priority of fixing those things will be lower then actual RE work :/
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

Cendwar

Post by Cendwar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 am

Well, this is interesting.

I tried to log in once with a 2nd client on the same account and the first time it said "This account is already logged in."
Closed the 2nd client, relaunched the game (while the first client was still logged in and making a character) tried to log into the 2nd client again and it let me in. I am currently running two clients on the same account.

So for futher inspection, since I only have 1 character spot available I tried to make two characters across these two clients at the same time to see what would happen...

I tried to create toon 1 (client 1) and it instantly said lost connection to DBServer (this normally happens when you take too long to make a character though) and took me back to the main menu, but I made toon 2, then relogged back into client 1 to try and delete toon 2 (which it did) and toon 2 was still sitting in Outbreak afterwards (not sure what happens there!).

So i tried to do this again, logged one client into the character select screen then tried to log the other in. This time I was getting the "This account is already logged in" message multiple times. When I backed up to the server select screen, however, it let me log both accounts in at once. So there seems to be an issue right around the server select going into char menu area possibly.

When I tried to log into both clients while client 1 was only at the server select menu, the client crashed (this happened like 4 times). The console also does not say "Connecting to DbServer 77.46.18.50:7002 <UDP> cookie:12..ok" like the first client's console did.

For some reason, I really didn't have much luck logging two clients into the same account after that. Something seems a little bit unpredictable about this process.

Kalakas

Post by Kalakas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 am

Alrighty, I guess programming just isn't for me. I've made multiple attempts at researching and editing the code in CoX .... finally got to the point where my system crashed... After getting my system running smoothly again, I tried to run CoX again... Able to login, select Freedom server, select my character ... BUT.. once I attempt to enter Paragon City, my game crashes... Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Kal

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 am

Client crashing when trying to enter with existing character is a known bug :)

For now, you'll have to create a new char every time.

Kalakas

Post by Kalakas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:52 am

nemerle wrote:Client crashing when trying to enter with existing character is a known bug :)

For now, you'll have to create a new char every time.

Understood

Thanks for everything nemerle

Gentlewolf

Post by Gentlewolf » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:49 am

Let me know if what I've done is correct,.. ( by the way I did it a little different than whats on this post, but not by much)
1: I click my shortcut that I made
2: The login screen shows up
3: I add an account name and password
4: Then it sends me to an agreement screen ( I select accept )
5: Now I'm on a "select a server " screen ( I see an "UNNAMED" server, with one green dot )

Now I know that I can't get in the server, because when I click it ( It takes 2-3 mins. ) before it sends me to the login screen again.
and it say's "Can't Connect to DB server"

This is what supposed to happen right?

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 am

Nope :)
The "Unnamed" server name means your client version is wrong somehow
And agreement screen ? Never seen that one :)

Gentlewolf

Post by Gentlewolf » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:17 pm

So I need to use an older version of CoH?

Cendwar

Post by Cendwar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 am

Gentlewolf wrote:So I need to use an older version of CoH?
The client can be torrented here and direct downloaded here