Moving around the map

C'mon all you guinea pigs!
Kemphler

Moving around the map

Post by Kemphler » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:20 am

So I wasn't sure where to put this, and didn't really see anything on it...but when I first tried moving around, it would snap me to a location. I understand that's supposed to happen. However, once I put a description and battle cry on my character, i was fully able to move around the map without any snapping back to a location.

Rigo42

Re: Moving around the map

Post by Rigo42 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:58 pm

Interesting, I knew regularly after about 5 minutes or so the rubberbanding would stop, but the fact that just putting a simple description and battle cry on you got free of that, nice :P

Zapplektrik

Post by Zapplektrik » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:16 pm

it does seam to help, but I think it has more to do with the fact the server needs a few minutes to synch your position. Im still trying to understand the games logic though, so I could be wrong.

Kemphler

Post by Kemphler » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:21 am

So I just tested this again, and it seems to not work now. Perhaps it was just a fluke? However, I was able to make the camera movement work with the right mouse button by opening the options menu, this I've tested a few times.

Terra

Post by Terra » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:10 pm

The menu option does seem to fix the free camera for me as well. I tried the battle cry etc. dunno if it had any effect, but it was the first time I was able to move around the map. It did take a couple of minutes to settle down after falling through the ground, etc.

Styrj

Post by Styrj » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:15 am

Just logged in and tried to move around. Seems the constant rubber banding is back. Oh well.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 am

The rubber-banding should be there :)
Since the server's world model is pretty non-existent right now, the server assumes that player location does not change ( unless you press any of the directional keys - for each keypress the server updates x/y/z coordinate )
The next step in that part of the codebase would be to simply hold the 'player's directional keys' structure on the server, and update the position in each 'tick' according to those.
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

Styrj

Post by Styrj » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 am

Dang! I knew that. Keep on coding.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Kemphler

Post by Kemphler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 am

Well, for now, to combat the 'rubberbanding', just tap the movement keys one at a time. Don't hold them down. I managed to move around the entirety of AP doing that, dropping all the time mind you, but still.

Edit: On a side note, has anyone noticed that the water does react to the character? Gives of a splash whenever my character drops into it, so I'm going to assume that's a good sign. (definitely not knowledgeable when it comes to code at all, so I wouldn't know.)