www.cityofheroes.ca

Extra extra, Read All About it!
crazboy

www.cityofheroes.ca

Post by crazboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:32 pm

I know its April 1st, but, I assure all of you that this is not a joke! The City of Heroes site is back online!!

As I did for Earth and Beyond, I have started to recreate the last known release of the City of Heroes web site. The site is far from finished, but, once the recreation is complete, I would like to add other pages that would bring together the other materials created by the community, so that its never lost.

I am far from finished. A site this size is never finished. However, I did manage to salvage ALL the videos, and ALL the screenshots from the City of Heroes web site. What you are seeing is each page recreated one by one. Yes, I loved this game, I pray that it will return to us very soon.

The one thing that really amazed me, is that, during the recreation of this site, I was able to read and view all the updates available in City of Heroes, and even after 8 years, I still haven't had the time to do it all. I teared up watching all the videos, and looking at the screenshots.

Also, I was able to recreate the Going Rogue web site. Its combines with this one, but I am missing ALL the screen shots, so if anyone has a copy of them, please let me know at [email protected]. Just a reminder, this is a fan site. Its privately funded, and is not used for monatary gains. I do not accept donations .. well, I do, in the form of materials that I can use to improve the content of this site if you get my meaning. So, enjoy, be patient for the missing items and pages, it will be done when I can.

CraZboy
[email protected]
http://www.cityofheroes.ca
http://www.cityofheroes.ca/going_rogue/

Kemphler

Re: www.cityofheroes.ca

Post by Kemphler » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 am

...Now this is a pleasant surprise.

Rigo42

Post by Rigo42 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 am

This is amazing and I love you

noyjitat

Post by noyjitat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:34 am

The wayback machine actually has this version of the cox website and others. If you are missing anything you should be able to retrieve it from there.

http://archive.org/web/web.php

Leviathan

Post by Leviathan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Pretty nice, dude. Thanks for sharing!

strangequark

Post by strangequark » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Wow, awesome. Any chance you might be able to host an archive of the old fora?

crazboy

Post by crazboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Well, much of what you see are .php files that I recovered from the wayback machine .. had to do a ton of script editing to get things to work.
Originally, I wasn't going to persue this project, but, since I did it with Earth and Beyond, why not City of Heroes. I liked much of what the wayback machine had. Most of the content was there. But, I realised that it really takes a long time for pages to load, and much of the time, the links go to the "farewell" page. Not what I had in mind.
Also, wayback's backup of many of the java files were incomplete. So getting many of the scripts working was a task indeed.

And, yes, at some point, I would love to recreate the original sites for Heroes and the one for villains. I've always liked the way they looked, and salvaging them would be fun as well. I still have 275 gigs of web space to fill up. I got the room!

I am pleased that you all like the site. I will keep it up until we hear that City of Heroes has been bought and is being relaunched, or, if that doesnt happen, I'll keep it up as a gateway for all the City of Heroes projects in the works. Just need to finish this version first.

CraZboy

Panther

Excellent.

Post by Panther » Fri May 24, 2013 12:25 am

I have to say, WOW! :D

It was a delight to see the website there, just as it was. Not that stupid sunset "Farewell" page. I had to stop looking at it because I was getting emotional.

You have awesome web skills to be able to resurrect something like that. I couldn't do it. Thank you!

Mega

Post by Mega » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 pm

You're missing the Now Hiring page!

lol JK Great job on this! Looks great and I hope one day more than just the site will be up :)