Test Server Update : Dec 07 2013

Extra extra, Read All About it!
nemerle

Test Server Update : Dec 07 2013

Post by nemerle » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 pm

The test server supports primitive chat functions now ( local chat only, every message is converted to *Broadcast* for now)
Logging in with existing characters works.

The current problem is actually logging out.. after trying to quit the application, the client is expecting the server to provide it with logout time etc.
For now I've hacked around it by sending forcedLogout, so at least You guys should be able to quit the client :)

Right now the problem is with properly handling disconnects/quits ( all in-game players should be notified about the quitting player + internal server cleanup should remove the client object etc. )
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

Azrael

Re: Test Server Update : Dec 07 2013

Post by Azrael » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:52 pm

I've installed the client and 'server' number.

I can log in.

Buggy. ;) But to be expected. You've done well to get it this far...and all by yourself by the sound of it. :/

Great to see 'Issue 1' back. And I think many would like the option to play Coh up to issue 4 or before ED?

...and to have other issues on record so you can play the issue you like. Coh became quite complex later. And sure, we'd like that option to have issue 24 beta out there...guess other people will quietly have that covered... ;)

For now...just getting the (surprised at just how small the initial client was!) issue 1 'out there' with combat and missions would be a massive achievement.

Sounds like Coh will come back from the grave by sheer force of will. It's only code. And they are clever people out there.

And getting even something like CHAT working is a key stone in getting Coh back in a working state. Well done.

Azrael.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Between this and Icon there's hope.

Azrael.

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Also, it seems the bug related to entering with previously created hero is causing other in-game players to receive the dreaded "bodyType ", I think it's time to fix this :P

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:56 pm

All the alts are on the select window. I get a bad call for body parts or costume on the load screen.

I've had it load before if I make an alt from scratch. But now it's hanging.

Was impossible to 'quit' when I did get in Atlas, I had the 'dropping from teh sky' lag band and couldn't quit. Had to reboot.

Azrael.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:58 pm

nemerle wrote:Also, it seems the bug related to entering with previously created hero is causing other in-game players to receive the dreaded "bodyType ", I think it's time to fix this :P
Ah, yes. That's what I'm getting.

Kudos to you for this project. The Coh community are still in trauma over Coh's loss but they're not going down without a fight on this one.

Nice to see you battling like a hero. Shame you haven't got a few more helping out.

Azrael.

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Ok, logging in with existing characters is done, check the first post.

Styrj

Post by Styrj » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:52 pm

nem: Just to let you know, I just logged in with an existing toon, and, with some rubber banding, was able to run around for a while, then lost my connection. But, anyway, logging in with an existing toon does indeed work!! very nicely done nem!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:30 pm

As re: the poster above.

I can now log in.

Use a created alt.

I can run around. (but with lots of rubber banding...sometimes worse than other times...)

Can also quit now.

What I like about issue 1 is how fast it loads.

Think it's really prudent to start reverse engineering the smaller Coh ie issues 1-3 before ED. In fact, this was the Coh I liked best!

Start small, get it working, I say.

I'll keep popping back from time to time to see if there's anything new to test. ;)

Azrael.

LastKnownHero

Post by LastKnownHero » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:11 am

Very excited with the updates. I hope that thing get further for sure! I wish I knew programming to help but unfortunately i do not.

I wish we could get everyone together on one project rather than all the different plans that are happening