Connecting Guide and FAQ

'Yack it up.'
KingCrazy

Re: Connecting Guide and FAQ

Post by KingCrazy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 am

arthurh3535 wrote:So why aren't you guys developing with the latest stable build of COH when it closed down, rather than the older version in a torrent?
I've been stalking the project for awhile now, and I'd say it's either because:
A) It's more difficult to create this from a build that has more stuff and is more complex...

Or

B) It helps keep it under-the-radar.

Either way, I originally had a problem with this, but after waiting for so long I wouldn't mind playing an extremely early build.

Mega

Post by Mega » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:31 am

KingCrazy wrote:
arthurh3535 wrote:So why aren't you guys developing with the latest stable build of COH when it closed down, rather than the older version in a torrent?
I've been stalking the project for awhile now, and I'd say it's either because:
A) It's more difficult to create this from a build that has more stuff and is more complex...

Or

B) It helps keep it under-the-radar.

Either way, I originally had a problem with this, but after waiting for so long I wouldn't mind playing an extremely early build.
From the little I know about this project however, isn't he writing the code and not just #copypaste'ing (stealing the original code) it? I read somewhere a while back that as long as you're writing the code yourself and not stealing it then it's legal, no matter how similar the finished project looks to the original. I'm not standing by this logic by any means... Correct me if I've been mislead.
I assumed that's why he started out with an early build.

arthurh3535

Post by arthurh3535 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:24 pm

As far as I know, he's just decoding the server control/programming that the client talks to.

It's just using an 'older' version locks you out of any artwork assets that came later (and bugfixes), including zones even.

noyjitat

Post by noyjitat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm

This projected was started long before shutdown. Hell it was long before even power customization or going rogue. Just one person is developing it so he's using the work that was started rather than start over.

arthurh3535

Post by arthurh3535 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:39 am

It should be relatively straightforward to use the latest client, as the 'real core' of COH hasn't changed, just graphics/models were added/fixed.

In fact... being so early that Power Customization not included is a pretty sad thing. That's one of the best things COH added.

KingCrazy

Post by KingCrazy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:11 am

If you mean "power customization" as power coloring, you make it sound like it's been around for long time... Lol we lived without it before, we can live without it for now. From my understanding (and what I've been told by someone else) once the basic code is complete it wont be too hard to work with a newer version of CoH. I'm not complaining about the server using an old version, because hey... any version is a good version at this point. I'd be grateful to just run around and play with my friends. Man I don't even need to fight enemies or do missions (As far as I'm aware, it's added into the latest build of the server to allow players to see each other, correct? (I've only been on by myself every time) If so just fix the rubber-banding issue and I'd be set)!

An old CoH is better than no CoH.

noyjitat

Post by noyjitat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 pm

arthurh3535 wrote:It should be relatively straightforward to use the latest client, as the 'real core' of COH hasn't changed, just graphics/models were added/fixed.
Warning random tangents and offtopic discussion may occur:

Sadly it doesn't work that way. The client was written for specific server software and won't work properly. It would be like pouring water through a leaky pipe and expecting all of it to make to it's destination without so much as a loss of a single drop of water. It's all being reverse engineered as no source code exists unless it was leaked or given to someone at cohtitan or something. Someone there is supposedly working on an issue 24 server but whether that happens or not only time will tell. Right now Nemerle is your only unhidden beacon of hope and you WILL be able to play this version of CoX someday unless nem calls it quits.

I don't want to say I have my doubts that someone at titan network is truly working on an issue 24 server. Now that the kickstarter succeeded I almost think it will be swept under a rug and forgotten and that's my biggest fear. They don't want any attention that could cause them problems so it might be in the best interest for them to act like nothing is really happening with it anymore.

For me I wish I could help with either project but all I was able to do was get an account server setup (which I lost when a harddrive failed) and it was quite difficult to setup for my lack of knowledge of this stuff.

I am looking forward to city of titans and did make a donation to the kickstarter but if we don't get a playable version of city of heroes then I still feel like ncsoft won the war. We might have our new shiny game and another city to fly and fight in but CoX was the main goal in the long run. Atleast for many of my friends it was.

I'm bored out of my mind in everything I'm playing now. DCUO has craptastic endgame thats too similar to fantasy mmos and the weakest players compared to cox/co.

CO has the best costume creator but feels like playing city of heroes without good tfs, raids, trials or incarnates. I'm really quite bored doing nothing but alts again with nothing to do with said alts once I reach 40. Been playing CO since alpha and was playing both CO and CoX together until going rogue came out. And you can only play so many alts before the lack of content just gets tiresome.

Also I'm sorry if this offends anyone but the community in CO just isn't as friendly and hasn't been since day one. Even with former CoX players playing it, the kindness gets swept under all the rage and unfriendliness which feels too much like a common mmo.

strangequark

Post by strangequark » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 pm

I assume because it's simpler and easier to work with, and then later they can add up to I24.

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 am

strangequark wrote:
I assume because it's simpler and easier to work with, and then later they can add up to I24.
Ok, You guys deserve a bit of explanation of the why/how some decisions have come to pass :)

1. We were working on this project since I7/I8, during that time the amount of client updates that were pushed by Cryptic was very burdensome ( re-decoding the client, updating server code )
2. After 4 or 5 client updates ( not Issues mind you, just plain old patches ), I've decided to stop shooting at rapidly moving target, and began work on a specific version of the client.
3. Loads of time has passed, during which decoding the client could, and did proceed undisturbed ( actually, at this point, we could recreate large parts of the client code :) )
4. After NCSoft killed the City, we've considered our options, and taking into account that (then unnamed ) SCORE has started working on I24, I've decided to stick to the original goal of getting 'our' version to work, and maybe later on upgrade it step-by-step to follow the available official client releases ( i.e. the next step would be to upgrade to I1 that was used to release the game in Europe )

Basically, what it all boils down to is: we don't have enough people working on the project to allow us to discard ~75% of the work done to date.
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

KingCrazy

Post by KingCrazy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:04 pm

I thought you had a whole team of people, considering the number of people willing to help.

I would personally love to help but my knowledge of coding (scripting, actually) is pretty much basic Javascript.