Why do MMORPGs suck?

'Yack it up.'
Merlynn

Post by Merlynn » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:14 am

If you're gonna do that,why not just play Freedom Force? If nothing else,it's a fun game to play while you wait for CoH.

DarkJin

Post by DarkJin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:52 am

man i seriously think he hates CoH on the inside...

Merlynn

Post by Merlynn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:28 pm

No,I just hate what CoH has become. The only real things CoH had going for it was it was superhero themed and it allowed you a lot of choices in making your custom hero. As more and more choices get axed in favor of "balence",which,as I said,isn't going to work anyway,it becomes little more than a superhero themed level grind. If the point of the game is to make YOUR hero to fight evil and whatnot,what's the point of nerfing or flat out denying people the right to customize? It's one thing if something's not working right,it's another when it's working really well when used with other powers.

And so CoH circles the drain,hooked up to the life support of endless free trial offers. You know,I really don't see a reason not to put in the in game poll. Movies have test screenings,TV has a ratings system,any successful entertainment business needs to have some way to keep their finger on the pulse of their audience. Here you have a prime example of CoH *ignoring* their audience and,thusly,losing them. In the end,it only hurts themselves and their product. And it'll only get worse when other superhero MMORPGs open up next year. Who would you rather hang around with,Statesman or Superman? Blue Steel or Batman? Ms. Liberty or Wonder Woman? I rest my case. CoH needs to solidify it's fan base now or risk losing it all when the others come around.

Fork

Post by Fork » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:03 pm

I'm sure they appreciate your criticism and your in-depth analysis of every single one of their mistakes//failures =)

Naminator

Post by Naminator » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:37 am

[quote:c0b6790173=\"Merlynn\"]No,I just hate what CoH has become. The only real things CoH had going for it was it was superhero themed and it allowed you a lot of choices in making your custom hero. As more and more choices get axed in favor of "balence",which,as I said,isn't going to work anyway,it becomes little more than a superhero themed level grind. If the point of the game is to make YOUR hero to fight evil and whatnot,what's the point of nerfing or flat out denying people the right to customize? It's one thing if something's not working right,it's another when it's working really well when used with other powers.

And so CoH circles the drain,hooked up to the life support of endless free trial offers. You know,I really don't see a reason not to put in the in game poll. Movies have test screenings,TV has a ratings system,any successful entertainment business needs to have some way to keep their finger on the pulse of their audience. Here you have a prime example of CoH *ignoring* their audience and,thusly,losing them. In the end,it only hurts themselves and their product. And it'll only get worse when other superhero MMORPGs open up next year. Who would you rather hang around with,Statesman or Superman? Blue Steel or Batman? Ms. Liberty or Wonder Woman? I rest my case. CoH needs to solidify it's fan base now or risk losing it all when the others come around.[/quote:c0b6790173]
Why dont they have the right to pick how strong they are???
Damn it man I cant belive you cant understand a simple thing as that!!
The game has PvP, they dont whant unbalanced toon!
Dont you GET IT????
How would you feel if you were a pro and played this game for year or two, but then comes a day where a person who played this game for a week, came, made an overbalanced toon and pwned you like nothing!!
how would you feel?? I bet that you would say, WTF? I got pwned by this noob?? OMG this shit aint right, they got to fix this!!

YOU got to understand that if you put two normal humans to work, the one who is the most hard working, lucky, and smart will win! And thats whats happening here! Every one is supposed to be equal from the start and work they way to the top, NOT BY CREATING AN OVERPOWERED TOON AND GETTING TO THE TOP WITH "I WIN BOTTON"

Now plz Take time before you write your next 5 paragraphs and Understand what I say!

And just another Example!
[quote:c0b6790173]I would love to see a Blaster do full damage to an army of fire imps.[/quote:c0b6790173]
Now you said that a hell of fun right??
Im sorry but that doesent sound fun for the guy who summoned the Imps!!
What if you where that guy? I bet you would be really pissed!

All this time you only have been only trying to proof your point and Ignoring mine compleetly, plz think about what I said.
and unless your next post will be explaining how fun it would be for that Imp summoner, I dont even whana hear non of that "ppl should have the right to chose how strong they are" CRAP!

Merlynn

Post by Merlynn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:14 pm

1. PvP will NEVER be balenced because there will always be better players who know how to work their shit better than you. It doesn't matter how much you nerf,sooner or later you're going to get pwned. Some players,like me,are sneaky bastards who always find a back door. Other players just know how to tweak their builds. Still others know how to work a team. What you're saying is that all of that should be negated so you don't have to think while you play. You don't have to figure anything out. And what you ultimatly forget is that nerfs come back around. It's only a matter of time before they nerf YOUR build and you're right back to square 1 getting pwned cause you can't adjust your play style.

2. If you've been playing for 1 to 2 years,you should have the knowlege needed to look up the uber build,deconstruct it,and make an anti-uber build that destroys it. You can only be powerful in so many ways. Maybe the problem isn't that the build is uber,maybe the problem is that you're too damn lazy to figure out how to take it down. And just because it kicks your ass doesn't mean it's an uber build. Maybe it's just a really good build against yours.

I played on the PvP servers on WoW,ok? I know what it's like to get OMGWTFPWNED! I've been beaten by tweakers all over the place. I've taken my lumps,but you know what? I gave some back. I used my level 30 dwarf hunter to bring down a level 60 mage. He kept attacking a town and I used my concussive shot to slow him down so the guards could swarm him. While you'd be running and hiding and hoping he doesn't catch you,I'm coming up with ways to stop him. That doesn't make my hunter overpowered,it means I'm smart.

And,as the imp summoner,I'd A) make more B) put a hold on the Blaster C) keep chipping away at him while he blasts my imps. See,the beauty of a Controller is I don't have to be in line of sight to attack the Blaster,which means he HAS to wade through my imps to get to me. And when he attacks the imps,I can throw out a hold and take pot shots at him. See? The battle goes both ways. Oh,the Blaster popped a Break Free and teleported to the other side of the imps! OHNOES! Then I hit invisiblity and he can't see me and I can just wait til his BF wears off to wack him with another hold. And so on. Much more interesting than "We just wail on each other til one of us falls down". Of course,in your mind,the winner will be dubbed "overpowered" and be subjected to nerfs. That's something worth fighting for,huh?

Which,if you ask me,is another reason most players on CoH don't PvP. It's the fastest way to get nerfs called on you. You kick one guy's ass and suddenly you're an uber build and need to be nerfed. So,once again,what's the point of playing?

Cubed

Post by Cubed » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:47 am

my eyes hurt just by looking at all that, holy essays batman!

Merlynn

Post by Merlynn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:58 pm

Well,if you have to have everything explained to you,be ready to have EVERYTHING explained to you. Plus,it's really easy to overlook the human element in these games. It's really hard for some people to say "I suck at this" or "Damn that guy's good". They just cry foul and demand the rules be changed to suit them. I can take being pwned a lot better than having to be stuck with a boring character in a boring game.

Naminator

Post by Naminator » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:20 am

[quote:9d7ebad4c0=\"Merlynn\"]1. PvP will NEVER be balenced because there will always be better players who know how to work their shit better than you. It doesn't matter how much you nerf,sooner or later you're going to get pwned. Some players,like me,are sneaky bastards who always find a back door. Other players just know how to tweak their builds. Still others know how to work a team. What you're saying is that all of that should be negated so you don't have to think while you play. You don't have to figure anything out. And what you ultimatly forget is that nerfs come back around. It's only a matter of time before they nerf YOUR build and you're right back to square 1 getting pwned cause you can't adjust your play style.

2. If you've been playing for 1 to 2 years,you should have the knowlege needed to look up the uber build,deconstruct it,and make an anti-uber build that destroys it. You can only be powerful in so many ways. Maybe the problem isn't that the build is uber,maybe the problem is that you're too damn lazy to figure out how to take it down. And just because it kicks your ass doesn't mean it's an uber build. Maybe it's just a really good build against yours.

I played on the PvP servers on WoW,ok? I know what it's like to get OMGWTFPWNED! I've been beaten by tweakers all over the place. I've taken my lumps,but you know what? I gave some back. I used my level 30 dwarf hunter to bring down a level 60 mage. He kept attacking a town and I used my concussive shot to slow him down so the guards could swarm him. While you'd be running and hiding and hoping he doesn't catch you,I'm coming up with ways to stop him. That doesn't make my hunter overpowered,it means I'm smart.

And,as the imp summoner,I'd A) make more B) put a hold on the Blaster C) keep chipping away at him while he blasts my imps. See,the beauty of a Controller is I don't have to be in line of sight to attack the Blaster,which means he HAS to wade through my imps to get to me. And when he attacks the imps,I can throw out a hold and take pot shots at him. See? The battle goes both ways. Oh,the Blaster popped a Break Free and teleported to the other side of the imps! OHNOES! Then I hit invisiblity and he can't see me and I can just wait til his BF wears off to wack him with another hold. And so on. Much more interesting than "We just wail on each other til one of us falls down". Of course,in your mind,the winner will be dubbed "overpowered" and be subjected to nerfs. That's something worth fighting for,huh?

Which,if you ask me,is another reason most players on CoH don't PvP. It's the fastest way to get nerfs called on you. You kick one guy's ass and suddenly you're an uber build and need to be nerfed. So,once again,what's the point of playing?[/quote:9d7ebad4c0]

OK Right now I didnt read your whole story, but I just read the first Line! (Ill read the whole thing soon)

you say theres always some one is going to be better than!!! OK!!!
Thats cool, if a [b:9d7ebad4c0][color=red:9d7ebad4c0]Person is better then me then he Deserve to win![/color:9d7ebad4c0][/b:9d7ebad4c0]
SIMPLE AS THAT!
OK? You need to win the game by your skills and knowledge of the game, NOT because of an Unbalanced toon!! Get that through that thik skull of yours!!

EDIT: OK now that I have lil time, Ive read the thing.
What you are saying is Idiotic! seriosly what the hell? Theres allways has to be a reason for nerfing some one, its not that" OMFG I got PWNED this guy is soo overpowered!" NO I dont do that, if I face an opponent that has put on a good fight and or have won cuz hes smart and sleezy I dont go saying hes overpowered!
Infact I tend to make a plan and a strategy to face him and close those wholes in my build!
However, if I get Owened by a guy who just came to me, standed in one spot and he needed is to fire of a couple of shots on me by pressing the botton a few times and won, Then I say hs overpowered.
Like on the L2 server Im playing on, right now mages are overpowered! Their casting speed is anormus so they can cast 3-5 sleeps in 2 seconds, and after your a sleep, 1 or 2 curses and couple of hits and your dead! They didnt even have to move, just stay in 1 spot, press sleep 1,2 or 3 times and then your done, the person who has fell a sleep is compleetly yours!
The reason I dont whant this "Let ppl chose how strong they are gonna be" is because Im tired of playing on servers where some class is overpowered to the max.
[color=red:9d7ebad4c0][b:9d7ebad4c0]I say, if your a better player then you diserve to win, but if your a nobody with an overpowered toon then you should get nerfed the F out! Period[/b:9d7ebad4c0][/color:9d7ebad4c0]

Warhead

Post by Warhead » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:53 am

Question was...

"Why do MMORPG's Suck?"

Answer...

"Because You Touch Yourself At Night".