Pie in the Sky no. 1 - or "Antigravity Pastry Attack"

nemerle

Pie in the Sky no. 1 - or "Antigravity Pastry Attack"

Post by nemerle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 pm

This series of posts are meant to talk about things we would love to have in any kind of game/world/universe realized in digital realm, but are unlikely to achieve without some sprinkling of fairy dust :)
Or just consider those a place for storing musings of mad people :D

Ever since I've read Mr. Crosbie Fitch's article series "Cyberspace in the 21st Century" I've been taken with one of his ideas: "Scalable Fidelity".
Having a client/server software able to represent the world perceived by one's avatar on extremely wide range of levels, from text to fully ray-traced VR environments, just pushes many of my buttons (AI, lossy data compression, storytelling) :)
Just visualize a text mud-like game slowly transforming into 2D top down environment, into 2.5D isometric environment, and finally into fully realized 3D world, all depending on the amount of resources available.

Sadly, realizing this vision will likely require pretty strong AI techniques. Although one can imagine some interesting use of somewhat similar approach to content distribution:
If content creator adds enough semantic tags to the object he adds to the world, we can do some pretty strange and wonderful things :)
Let's say we have a house model:

Code: Select all

object_type->[house, mansion] 
size->large, [Bounding box]
mood->[creepy,abandoned], 
description->"Old mansion abandoned years ago, all the windows are boarded, but strangely enough for this part of the city, there are no signs of homeless people anywhere near the property", 
concept_art -> [ a reference to a set of images follows ], 
model_2d -> [a 2d image of the house, top/front etc.], 
model_3d -> [ a 3d model description]
if the server and client share the same understanding of the universe the content that must be exchanged between the two can be significantly reduced. ( K(x) < K(x|y) )
Given a very 'smart' client with pretty large cache of content, just a few tags and information about other objects in range would allow us to present new object to the player, and refine the presented model while the data is being streamed in.
Also those kind of tags can be very useful to storytellers looking for content to help them tell their stories.

OK, that's enough rambling for one post :P
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

Cendwar

Re: Pie in the Sky no. 1 - or "Antigravity Pastry Attack"

Post by Cendwar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:46 pm

2.5D? Like half a dimension? *Mind explodes*

I like that idea but there is still always the idea of being limited to the client even if it does make creation easier. Human Brain > PC Brain (hopefully at least for a couple more years). I never really understood how AI made it's decisions anyway :)

Kind of reminds me when I used to do map editing for some customizable games like Unreal Tournament, except that's kind of like going from my mind to a 3d environment. Or some console based / text game project I started writing on my own a while ago but never saw through.

nemerle

Re: Pie in the Sky no. 1 - or "Antigravity Pastry Attack"

Post by nemerle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Well, usually 2.5D is a moniker for 2d isometric view games ( ultima online ).

And the whole idea plays so well into my Universe Construction Kit AI dream. You have UCK, provide it with some source material (books, pictures, ideas) and it creates an universe from that :)
But that particular pie has left the sky and now it's Pluto's traveling companion :P
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."