Quick Question: Is the rubberbanding serverlag, or...

The hands of the Atlas are tireless.
KingCrazy

Quick Question: Is the rubberbanding serverlag, or...

Post by KingCrazy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:13 pm

I've been following this project for awhile now (I basically check every day to see if there's been an update... XD) and I've gotten on the server every once in awhile when my CoH craving goes through the roof. The current state of the project is pretty much good enough to satisfy my craving, but the only thing is the rubber banding issue...

I'm curious to know if that rubber banding is just lag from the server, or if it's the coding of the server itself.

It'd been on my mind for a long time, considering it's pretty much existed since I started following the project.

Thanks in advance for those able to answer my question. :)

nemerle

Re: Quick Question: Is the rubberbanding serverlag, or...

Post by nemerle » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:05 pm

This problem is actually pretty 'funny' :
1. The server's World update rate is currently set pretty low ( 2 updates /s. ), thus avatar positions are updated rarely/inconsistently ( there are some timing issues to solve here too )
2. The client has pretty complex ( currently not implemented ) movement smoothing/prediction routines which would allow server to send reduced amount of data/ make things look smoother

I, or anyone that's hosting a server could up the update rate to something like 10/s but that's just stopgap measure.
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

KingCrazy

Re: Quick Question: Is the rubberbanding serverlag, or...

Post by KingCrazy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Oh I see. I can see now why it hasn't been fixed if the complex smoothing would take awhile to work on. xP
Well thank you for the answer, and also thank you for working on the project. :)

I honestly wish I could lend a hand, but my knowledge of coding only reaches the basics of Javascript. Dx