Losing Connection to Map Server

The hands of the Atlas are tireless.
LagunaShirogane

Losing Connection to Map Server

Post by LagunaShirogane » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:56 am

hey i got an issue with this game. I'm trying to play the game after creating my new character and I edit the prefences to my liking so its easier to play for me (such as the hot keys and graphics) and I lose connection to the Map Server moments later and then after 10 minutes or so, I brought back to the Login Screen saying I lost connection to the Server. I log back in with my character and all my settings are not saved and back to default. While I was playing with my settings, I was also getting a feel for the game. When I tested the controls i setted up, I also noticed that all the people that's supposed to be there arn't there and my character is ghostly like hes still loading up but i hear the sounds just fine. My powers are not even showing up on my action bars either. My movement is also glitchy as well. I got a screen shot of what I'm seeing. I am running on Windows 7 with this computer. If you can help me out with this. Thank you.

- LagunaShirogane
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (305.54 KiB) Viewed 4439 times

Styrj

Re: Losing Connection to Map Server

Post by Styrj » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:22 pm

LagunaShirogane wrote:hey i got an issue with this game. I'm trying to play the game after creating my new character and I edit the prefences to my liking so its easier to play for me (such as the hot keys and graphics) and I lose connection to the Map Server moments later and then after 10 minutes or so, I brought back to the Login Screen saying I lost connection to the Server. I log back in with my character and all my settings are not saved and back to default. While I was playing with my settings, I was also getting a feel for the game. When I tested the controls i setted up, I also noticed that all the people that's supposed to be there arn't there and my character is ghostly like hes still loading up but i hear the sounds just fine. My powers are not even showing up on my action bars either. My movement is also glitchy as well. I got a screen shot of what I'm seeing. I am running on Windows 7 with this computer. If you can help me out with this. Thank you.

- LagunaShirogane
What you have to remember here is that this project is a work in progress with one guy doing all the work. Nem probably gets a smattering of help from folks when they can spare the time, but for all practical purposes, he is a one man show.

You will get some rubber-banding while running around AP and that is to be expected. Loading an existing toon now works as well.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Styrj wrote:
LagunaShirogane wrote:...
What you have to remember here is that this project is a work in progress with one guy doing all the work. Nem probably gets a smattering of help from folks when they can spare the time, but for all practical purposes, he is a one man show.

You will get some rubber-banding while running around AP and that is to be expected. Loading an existing toon now works as well.
Sadly, there's not even 'smattering' :)
ATM we have strangequark's offer of dusting off her/his c++ skillz, and trying to build a more fleshed out client launcher/verifier/configurator, and that's pretty much 'it'.

Not complaining ( although it's one of the main character traits of us Poles :D ), but it's a bit of vicious cycle:
1. Most folk do not have time/experience to dive directly into the thick of it.
2. People who could learn, are at a bit of a loss, since our docs/tasks are pretty sparse
3. Fixing the docs to the point they'd be accessible to aforementioned people would take some doing
4. What little time I can steal from other activities I prefer to allocate to actually coding things.
5. Goto 2.
:)
And fixing #4, would mean I'd have to stop all coding, and work on something that could help people from pt.2 But there's a risk that I'll spend X amount of time on updating the docs, writing feature tickets, etc, and apart from better project documentation we'd still have exactly the same amount of Code-monkeys :/

What this project needs is someone with the will to stay at it long enough and willing to say "This part of the code is crap, Ima gonna fix it" :)
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

KingCrazy

Post by KingCrazy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:24 pm

nemerle wrote: ...
1. Most folk do not have time/experience to dive directly into the thick of it.
2. People who could learn, are at a bit of a loss, since our docs/tasks are pretty sparse
Out of curiosity, anywhere you'd specifically recommend to go to learn C++? Most of the classes around my area (at least so I've heard) don't do well in actually teaching how you can apply this stuff to things like game programming. I'd love to learn C++ (Especially to help out), and I have a bit of coding experience with Javascript (Was also learning Ruby for RPG Maker), so I know the basics of coding. Any suggestions as to where I could learn about C++?

nemerle

Post by nemerle » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Good question :)
My road to c++ was from the other direction ( asm->c->c++) so it's a bit problematic to recommend a good source for someone starting from the other side of the computer language spectrum.
What I can recommend is:
get one of Qt5 packages from http://qt-project.org/downloads
find a site with Qt4/5 beginner tutorials with loads of example programs.
get one of the examples to run :)
play around with the example code, see how it breaks.
After you're fairly comfortable with qtcreator and building simple projects using qt5, start learning about control structures and types/classes.
Your JS skills should translate somewhat to c++ control structs, and ruby Classes should help a bit with types :)

Also, feel free to drop by our IRC channel and ask around :)
"Ich was in one sumere dale,
in one suthe diyhele hale,
iherde ich holde grete tale
an hule and one niyhtingale."

pikabko1

Post by pikabko1 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:22 pm

in Jan 2014 the same thing happned to me when I use the E and Q keys for movement
now its 5/26/2014 the log in failed. . ok well I wondering if there is a new download for COX?
I also wondering if the server is turned off due to the fact its not working.
I made sure the server ip address is added and done right. go use cox client then enter the user name and password. the log failed. i am having all this drama due to ncsoft evil way doing busienss kill coh! that the hell for Guildwars 2 only ? what the hell kind of excuse is that?
who ever is working on this gets a note to please check in what the heck happned on the cox client log in thing